‘An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.’
Benjamin Franklin coined this phrase in the 1730s as advice for fire safety. However, like all timeless quotes, it applies to many more aspects of life in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Mesa – particularly dental health.
Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Here we highlight some of the most important guidelines.
1. Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA approved toothpaste and toothbrush. They can be purchased at any Phoenix area drugstore.
2. Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy, too.
3. Wear a protective mouthguard whenever you are engaged in an activity where your mouth could possibly be injured. This includes many Mesa recreation league and school sponsored sports.
4. Don’t smoke. As if you needed yet another reason not to!
5. Avoid piercing your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth. Piercings put you at greater risk for chipped teeth, infection, and nerve damage. It’s a dangerous Phoenix fashion that you’ll want to avoid.
6. Stay away from snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
7. Schedule regular dental visits, of course!
My name is Dr. Joe Harris. Helping my dental patients establish good habits is important to me, and so is helping them achieve the smile they want with cosmetic dentistry procedures such as veneers, teeth whitening, and complete smile makeovers.
Harris Dental has locations Phoenix, Chandler, Mesa, Queen Creek, and Scottsdale, and we have been serving these areas with exceptional cosmetic and general dentistry since 1979. If you are in the market for an exceptional dentist, we invite you to contact us at 480-428-0040 so we can make an appointment for you.
4444 N 32 St, Ste 208
Phoenix, AZ 85018
The following website was used as source material for this blog:
http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/preteens-and-teens/, accessed on Feb. 21, 2013